Back to jobs listings
Senior Backend Engineer, Trip Experience Squad
Engineering - Paris - Full-time
We believe in a world where all cars are shared. Carsharing empowers people to get going in a smarter, easier way, while also having a positive impact on the environment and making cities more liveable. It’s this vision that propels us forward and inspires us to think even bigger.
Getaround is the world's leading carsharing platform with a community of more than 5 million users sharing thousands of car in more than 300 cities in the U.S and Europe.
Our team is collaborative, positive, curious, and engaged. We think fast, work smart, laugh often, and are looking for like-minded people to join us in our mission to disrupt car ownership and make cities better.
- The product & engineering team is getting close to 50 people in Europe, but we have a lot of positions open and we will grow a lot more this year. To scale effectively, we organized ourselves in squads with people coming from various departments like engineering, data, design, and product.
- The main challenge of the Trip Experience squad is to create and maintain a world-leading physical experience; locating the car, opening and closing it, know where you can and can’t park; all from the driver’s smartphone in combination with the car’s hardware.
What you’ll work on:
- In practical terms, you’ll mostly work on our backend and mobile APIs:
- Communicate with cars: Lock & Unlock, retrieve the fuel tank level and driven distance, get the location while respecting our users’ privacy. One of our challenges this year is to provide a great experience with no connectivity or low connectivity with Bluetooth (to better support underground parking).
- Shape our codebase to gracefully handle connectivity with different connected boxes and cars having different constraints and limitations while providing a simple abstraction to be used by other squads.
- Provide REST APIs to our mobile apps to simplify the whole checkin / checkout and offline experiences.
- Develop the vision of the squad using continuous refactoring to build a more decoupled architecture and simple-to-use abstractions to be used by other developers.
Who you’ll work with:
- The squad is currently composed of 2 backend engineers, 2 mobile developers, a product manager, a product data analyst, and a product designer.
What you'll bring to the table:
- Getaround handles thousands of rentals a day and making a physical experience frictionless is a big challenge. For that, we're looking for rigorous people that relish creating highly reliable APIs and with a strong product mindset.
- You have got experience shipping and maintaining code in production
- You have a good knowledge of at least one backend language
- You have experience with a relational database such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high-quality code
- You have good communication skills and are a team player
- You're able to communicate in English
- A previous experience designing and building APIs is a plus
Our Tech Stack:
- Ruby on Rails 5.2 with Ruby 2.5
- TypeScript, React/Preact with Webpack
- Continuous integration with Docker and CircleCI to push to production multiple times a day
- MySQL, Redis, Snowflake
- A strong internal design system
- Monitoring dashboards built with Telegraf + Influxdb + Grafana
What we offer:
- A solid engineering team with a lot of experience
- The peace of mind of a large test suite and pull requests to stay sane and ship often
- Getting to learn from your peers and to share your knowledge on the blog and in our internal presentations every two weeks
- A ticket to one technical conference of your choice each year
- Open source projects are being extracted from the codebase when appropriate
- We'll buy any non fiction books you want to read, and you'll get access to our growing library
- An international startup environment with 20+ different nationalities, HQ in San Francisco and European offices in Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, London, Amsterdam, Oslo and Nantes
- A remote friendly culture, with some remote allowed for this position
- We often organise meetups in our office
- Tickets restaurants, a good health insurance
- "Hack days" to experiment with new technologies and ideas as well as other team events
No need for a resume, but LinkedIn, Twitter and Github usernames are appreciated!
Don't hesitate to give our backend challenge a try.